Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Mantels


All my life I have thought that symmetry and mantels go hand in hand... that is until a few years ago when my tastes began to evolve and I found that asymmetry on a mantle can be killer!  Now, don't get me wrong, I love symmetry in certain places.  For instance I like a pair of lamps on either side of a sofa or bed.  The end tables can be different but I want those lamps to match.  (You can always throw a fun lamp in somewhere else in the room for a little drama... ex. one FUN lamp on a console or chest.)

But back to mantels... always start with a killer piece of art or a mirror as a focal point (see below) and build your mantle around that.

This is a piece by a local artist, Kim Covington.  My husband and I both LOVE it! And that is important... always start with something you love when designing.

Next are accessories...
Love these mod vases and they will give the mantel height to balance out the painting



Dried grapevine... cool for texture and I love organic pieces

Hand thrown pot with fishscale flowers... I'll need this for height on the right side.


Put it all together and Wah Lah! A funky mantle!


(When we moved in to our house we painted the inside of the fireplace black to hide the soot marks.  Great idea to keep in mind. You need a certain type of paint to do this and we had the guys who cleaned our chimmney do it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment