Friday, January 6, 2012

Design Style

One great element of design is that everyone has their own style... some are traditional and some are contemporary.  Some are neutral and some love color.  Some are formal and some are relaxed.

To know your style is unbelievably important.  After living in my own home for a little over 2 1/2 years I understand our style... it took that long.  There is no formal living room in our house and there never will be.  I don't want a room that kids and pets can not enter. 
We aren't crazy about a formal dining room... ours is pretty casual and livable.
And we have worked to buy good pieces of furniture that will stand the test of time for our family room and we can take with us if we ever move.  That was great advice from my boss... buy the best you can so you can have it always.

I have had people describe our house as "homey" and I will take that any day. 
On the other hand I have come to appreciate other styles of design.  Even though it's not my personal style I can see the beauty in different styles.

Below are pictures of different styles designed by a few of my favorite designers.  I am showing just one picture from each but either designer could design any style for a client... that is why they are professionals!!

Patricia McLean Interiors, Atlanta, GA
Traditional Bedroom

Teri Thomas Interiors, Charlotte, NC
Contemporary Lounge




What is your style?? Have you decided yet??

1 comment:

  1. Wow! How exciting to be featured on your blog! That was my Atlanta Symphony Decorators' Show House Lady's Bedroom in 1997 or 98?! Upholstered walls were very well received. You are dear to feature me! Love your blog! Thank you Mary Mac!!!

    ReplyDelete